This week I’m in Cornwall staying with a friends in a beautiful cottage not too far from Padstow. Last night Helen made supper and it was left to me to rustle up dessert for all of us. I went to the pantry and there was a tin of coconut milk and I found some strawberries in the fridge – within a couple of hours we were enjoying this lovely refreshing granita – perfect for a June evening.
I used a 400g tin of coconut milk – it wasn’t raw but it was all I could find in the cottage. It worked really well with the strawberries so tinned coconut milk is a good fall back for this dessert if you cannot make your own.
- 2 cups fresh coconut milk
- 3 cups roughly chopped strawberries
- In a blender or with a hand held whisk, blend the strawberries and coconut milk together until smooth.
- Pour the strawberry mixture into a large flat baking tin so it’s about ¼ inch thick and place the tray uncovered in the bottom of the freezer for about 45 minutes. After this time, you will notice that the mixture is beginning to freeze around the edges. Use a fork to whisk up the granita so that the crystals separate and return to the freezer for about half an hour.
- Repeat this process every half an hour, using a fork to lightly separate the granite crystals until the mixture resembles a light sorbet.
- When ready, spoon into glasses to serve.