It’s Spring bank holiday in the UK, and for me this bank holiday always feels like there could be a promise of a long summer ahead. So what could be more refreshing to while away a few hours on a lazy day than a long cool lemonade and a good read.
This is a lemonade with a difference as it’s made with real lemon and also aloe vera. Believe it or not, aloe vera can be delicious if prepared in the correct way and I like it in the form a lemonade making it the perfect refreshing beverage that has added benefits .
Aloe vera is a very healing plant and is said to lower cholesterol, aid digestion and support the immune system. As an added bonus, you can use the remains of the leaf skin as a soother to apply to sunburn or simply rub it, wet side, into your skin.
If you are using a fresh leaf, don’t be tempted to skip the filleting stage and blend the whole thing as the skin is extremely bitter. If I am using a gel rather than a leaf, I use the aloe vera gel from Forever Living.
I like to use coconut kefir for an added dose of probiotic, however coconut water also works well.
- 2 tbsp edible aloe vera juice or 3 inches fresh aloe vera leaf (skin removed)
- 1 lemon juiced, rind on
- 1 tbsp raw honey or agave
- 2 cups coconut kefir or coconut water
- If you are using a fresh aloe vera leaf, remove the skin. Lay the leaf flat on the chopping board and slide your knife along the inside of the leaf skin. You are aiming to collect a clear fillet of gel from inside the aloe vera leaf.
- In a blender, add the aloe gel and the remaining ingredients and whizz until smooth.